Thursday, April 17, 2008

Basic Scanning

I frequently scan images, but not being one to follow instructions, I tend to press buttons and try things out until I get something that seems to work. Some time ago I learned that a .jpg file loses quality every time you edit and save it. I was a bit worried about this, as I tend to muck about with my scanned images a fair bit. So now I follow the steps explained in the article ' 10 Step Picture Prep Guide' by Sue Chastain, About.com's Graphics Software guide.

I find that many readers have trouble with their scanner settings and send in 'pixelly' images or files that are really huge. It can all get a bit daunting - there are so many formats and different variables, different ways of expressing image dimensions and resolution. So it is very tempting to stick your head in the sand and hope that your default settings are the 'right ones'! (I'm speaking from experience here. I still have no idea how to change the exposure on my digital camera....) So rather than email your grandad/aunty/best mate (who is still on dial-up) your latest drawing (all five meg of it....) with half the light tones missing, spend half an hour finding out how to get the most out of your scanner, and send them an image that looks great and won't use up their entire download limit.

You'll find some useful tips in Sue's article, Getting Started Scanning - Introduction'. Do check out the various links from that page to articles by Sue and other guides, on related issues such as DPI and file format, as well as picture-editing tips for many popular graphics programs. Meanwhile, I'll go dig out the instructions for the digital camera. I'm sure those little icons mean something.

No comments: